Sunday, February 26, 2006

Genesis 1:1

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (New International Version)

I attended the first BSF class of 2006 on Valentine's Day (I was rather glad when they announced the date last year coz it meant I would have an interesting VDay even without a flower bouquet, chocolates, soft-toy in the shape of a pup or cosy candlelight dinner). We are studying the book of Genesis this year and I am excited. Having been a Christian since I was 8, I've read the 1st verse of the 1st chapter of the 1st book in the Bible many times. As I was going through the lesson notes for the week, one of the questions asked about this verse was "Do you believe that it's true?"

I must admit I have taken for granted, in some sense, that everything I read in the Bible is true and I don't really question what I read (well, except during bible studies, heh). But here I am faced with this question. Do I believe that "First this: God created the Heavens and Earth--all you see, all you don't see" (The Message) ? If I don't, there's really no point in reading verse 2, or the rest of the Bible for that matter.

If I don't believe, what answer do I have for the origins of multicoloured rainbows, awesome waterfalls, trees that produces delicious thirst quenching fruits, beautiful sparkling little lights in the midnight sky, adorable furry little doggies...the people whom I share hugs, laughter and tears?

But I do believe. I believe there's a Creator and He is God. I believe He made ALL things for a purpose, yes, even you and I...and that little ant making its way across the table. Knowing this gives me hope. That Someone had me in mind before I came to being. That I can trust this Giver of Life, with my life. For He is good and He will see me through ALL seasons of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home